In 1989, NASA conducted a Clean Air Study to find out which house plants most effectively ward off the toxins found in a range of household goods. The research was carried out by placing plant species inside a plexiglas chamber and adding the following chemicals inside before collecting air samples to see how the soil and plants fared in removing the air pollutants. ( here is the complete infographic via Love the Garden).
My personal experience with plants has showed me that they actually work. A key parameter here is also a good quality of soil without pesticide and fertilizer. No need to go wild and convert your house into a jungle one-two plants in each room are enough.
Each week I will dedicate a post for a house plant and its benefits.
Also this fall I will conduct an experiment with some plants and VOCs, so stay tune.
Here are 27 House Plants That Detox The Air In Your Home Naturally
- Dwarf Date Palm (Phoenix roebelenii)
- Areca Palm (Dypsis lutescens)
- Boston Fern (Nephrolepis exaltata ‘Bostoniensis’)
- Kimberly Queen Fern (Nephrolepis obliterata)
- English Ivy (Hedera helix)*
- Lilyturf (Liriope spicata)
- Spider Plant (Chlorophytum comosum)
- Devil’s Ivy (Epipremnum aureum)*
- Peace Lily (Spathiphyllum ‘Mauna Loa’)*
- Flamingo Lily (Anthurium andraeanum)*
- Chinese Evergreen (Aglaonema modestum)*
- Bamboo Palm (Chamaedorea seifrizii)
- Broadleaf Lady Palm (Rhapis excelsa)
- Variegated Snake Plant, mother-in-law’s tongue (Sansevieria trifasciata ‘Laurentii’)*
- Heartleaf Philodendron (Philodendron cordatum)*
- Selloum Philodendron (Philodendron bipinnatifidum)*
- Elephant Ear Philodendron (Philodendron domesticum)*
- Red-Edged Dracaena (Dracaena reflexa)*
- Cornstalk Dracaena (Dracaena fragrans ‘Massangeana’)*
- Weeping Fig (Ficus benjamina)*
- Barberton Daisy (Gerbera jamesonii)
- Florist’s Chrysanthemum (Chrysanthemum morifolium)*
- Rubber Plant (Ficus elastica)*
- Dendrobium Orchids (Dendrobium spp.)
- Dumb Canes (Dieffenbachia spp.)
- Moth Orchids (Phalaenopsis spp.)
- Aloe Vera (Aloe barbadensis Mill.)